Applications for declaring a major or change of major will be acceptedon a flow basis for admission into the program. All applications must have an unofficial transcript attached. No exceptions.
Current SF State Students
Current SF State students who wish to change or declare their major in Communication Studies may apply by submitting a Change of Major form (located on Registar's website) along with an unofficial transcript directly to the Department of Communication Studies Office, HUM 289.
Current students admitted to the University as freshmen and/or “Undeclared with an interest in Communication Studies” should submit a Change of Major Form during their second semester in sophomore standing. Such students will need to have completed a minimum of 60 units by the end of their second semester in in order to be eligible to register for upper-division courses in Communication Studies, if accepted into the program.
Upper-division transfer students who wish to attend SF State as Communication Studies majors may apply to the University and request consideration to become a Communication Studies major from October 1 to November 30 via Cal State Apply. Transfer students must submit official transcripts by the designated deadline to the SF State Admissions Office. Students should monitor their e-mail for updates from the Admissions Office.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for admission:
- COMM 150: Fundamentals of Oral Communication (or its equivalent) with a grade of B or better.
- ENG 214: Second Year Composition (or its equivalent) with a grade of B or better.
- GPA of at least 2.0 and must not be on academic probation, subject to disqualification or other academic hold.
- Have completed a minimum of 60 units by the end of the semester preceding admission into the program.
- Continuing students who have earned 96 units or more must submit a Declaration of Major After Accruing 96 Units form.